October 16, 2011

Fashion is Armor


These pics are from Thursday, yet another rainy day. I ditched the rainboots and threw on some turquoise to brighten up the day. I usually consider this skirt 'summery' but with a dark, long-sleeve tee it worked for cooler weather. I'm in love with this chain necklace from Loft and it goes perfectly with all my turquoise pieces.

The fact that I turned to clothes to improve an otherwise dreary day reminded me of one quotation from the documentary "Bill Cunningham: New York". The film is about the life and work of New York Times street style photographer, Bill Cunningham. Although he himself lives frugally, Bill said one line about the importance of fashion that really struck me.

"Some people think fashion is a frivolity that should be done away in the face of social upheavals and problems that are enormous. The point is, in fact, fashion is the armor to survive the reality of everyday life. I don't think you could do away with it. It would be like doing away with civilization." -B.C.








{top-Gap; skirt-thrifted; shoes-H&M; necklace-Loft}

No comments:

Post a Comment